Work hard your whole life. Save your money. Make sacrifices. Build your estate. Plan your retirement. Make a will.

Then get Alzheimer's and lose it all.

Like my dad, who developed the disease and was taken advantage of as a result of his vulnerability. Towards the end of his life, someone he trusted stole away all of his life savings and his entire estate. And it was really very easily done, and so confoundedly legal.

I want as many people as possible to see just how easy it is to manipulate and take advantage of those with Alzheimer's, or any form of dementia, so that they can take steps to protect themselves. Read my story to find out how it happened to my dad. The book is titled, A Life Well Stolen: A True Story of Alzheimer's & Betrayal. You'll find excerpts of it here in my blog, and the book in its entirety at Amazon.com.


Saturday, February 12, 2011

Protecting a Legacy

At the end of our fight, we realized what a battle it had been and how unfair it was that our dad lost everything. We were amazed at how easy it had been for the person to betray him and steal away everything, and we were shocked at how little protection the law provided Alzheimer’s victims.We knew we weren’t alone. We knew from talking to others in similar situations that there were many others who had become victimized in a similar manner. We also knew from reading the news that there were many victims out there. But we also figured out that there are things that can be done to avoid what happened to our dad. We wanted to tell our story, to share what we learned. That’s why I wrote this book.


Excerpt from A Life Well Stolen

End of Preface


That’s what happened to my dad, even though he had prepared himself for just that scenario and believed that his life savings was protected. He believed his estate plan was foolproof and iron tight, but he was wrong.  Many people think the same as him. They work their whole lives and make plans to protect their life savings in exactly the same manner as my dad did. They assume they are protected, but they are not, any more than he was.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. I know that because we figured that out through all of this. My dad lost everything, but his loss can serve to teach others and help them avoid the same fate that he suffered. That is why I felt compelled to tell his story. I want to show how it all happened and what drove the person who betrayed his trust to commit such an atrocious deed. I want others to know the awful treachery that transpired at nearly the end of my dad’s life so that they can defend themselves and their loved ones against those that seek to gain from taking advantage of another’s vulnerabilities.
My dad's life was well stolen, by illness and betrayal, but nobody else’s life has to be. There was a way my dad could have safeguarded himself and his legacy. There is a way that others suffering from Alzheimer’s or any form of dementia can preserve their own legacy, whether it is millions of dollars, thousands, or only a few sentimental belongings. Whatever it may be, there is a way to protect it, and it’s really very simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment